Monday, July 27, 2009

Hopping on


See this?  This is my soapbox.  Actually, it's a picture of a soapbox I found via google image from wvbr.com, but I'm going to get on this soapbox anyway.  I have a way more important soapbox mounting to share later, but this is just ticking me off, and I think Hubs is sick of hearing me complain about it, so my lucky 7 followers get to hear about it :-)

I love corn.  I think corn is great.  Butter it and eat it off the cob, pop it, cream it, it's just fantastic.  High Fructose Corn Syrup (HFCS) on the other hand?  Not so much.  I've never been a big advocate of HFCS, but let's face it, who doesn't love a handful of m&m's every once in a while?  So I wasn't going to bad mouth it.

Then, I saw this:
http://www.sweetsurprise.com/videos/two-bites

I'm sure you've all seen it.  Really?!  An add promoting HFCS?  That's like an add from McDonald's say, "Baa dah bop bah bah, I'm lovin' it!  And it's not THAT bad for you every once in a while (even though it's not really good for you either!)."

So corn was on my list of allergies, causing me to abandon the "sweet surprise" for good.  And yes, there was more pulled out of my diet, but since avoiding the naughty things, I've dropped a good 17 lbs.  Avoiding HFCS has made it imperative to read every label twice.  I was shocked when I realized just how much HFCS was in our house, even though we eat/snack fairly healthy things.  So I just had to giggle when I saw this ad:


The Corn people's big thing is all about moderation, but I ask you, what is moderation?  For most people, I'm sure thinking one pack of fruit snacks or a juice pop a day=moderation.  But I dare you, I double dog dare you to run to your pantry and fridge and look for "HFCS" on your labels.  Seriously.  Pick up crap that you wouldn't dream contained any part of corn and be prepared to be shocked.  Unless you do the majority of your shopping at Whole Foods and buy all organic, I bet you'll be a wee bit shocked.  

It's.in.EVERYTHING.  Gum, drinks, salad dressings, marinades, soup (yes, people, Campbell's tomato soup), candy, even cough drops contain this "sweet surprise."  So even if you're like me and live in the "every thing's ok in moderation camp," you probably aren't ingesting this in moderation.  Kinda like if you think drinking is ok in moderation, then take a shot of tequila with every meal, drink and snack.  Not so moderate.  

Ok, hopping off the box, but don't worry, it won't get too dusty!  I'll be back up in a day or so :-)

1 comment:

Lianne said...

Gum? Soup? Yuck. I've got to keep an eye on that. Thanks for making me aware.