Tuesday, December 1, 2009

Boys!


Nugget is now 2.5. Traveling has slowed down a bit and I thought it was time to really start potty training. I told him we were not wearing diapers and he's been doing surprisingly well.

Strip was pretty easy to train, especially since she's a girl, and I'm a girl, I kind of felt like I knew what I was doing. But boys?! Stand up? Sit down? What do you do?! I figured it would be easier to just teach him to pee standing up than to have him sit, then learn to stand later. So with a case of clorox wipes in hand, the potty training began.

One day, I was cleaning the kids' bathroom and Strip came in and asked if she could use it. I told her sure, but to make sure she checked the seat.

Strip: Why do I need to check the seat?
Me: Well, you know, boys pee standing up, so they lift the seat up.
Strip: Yeah.
Me: And I'm still working with Nugget, so he sometimes forgets to put the seat down.
Strip: Ok...
Me: And if you sit down with the seat up, you're going to fall in the potty.
Strip: Ok!

A week or so later, I'm in the kitchen when Strip runs up from the basement making a dash for the bathroom. A few seconds later, I hear the distinct sound of a four-year-old falling into the toilet. Then I hear Strip muttering...

"UGH! Boys! They just don't think!"

So young, yet so wise.

No comments: