Thursday, May 14, 2009

Adventures in tanning

So I am sitting in line a the tanning bed. I have not been to one of these places since I got sprayed before our wedding. And boy have things changed. This new place is super fancy and spray tanning has come a really long way. The last time I did this, it was like on friends where Ross forgets to turn aroung and gets "four fours" to the front. Now there's an instructional video and a multi-step process full of really fun moves, that I am convinced are just to make you look like an idiot, and somewhere, there is a camera. If you'd like to learn the spray tanning boogie, google VersaSpa. Lots of fun.

Anyway, I saw some of the wrinkliest, leathery people come in and out while I was waiting, which only made me more certain that I did NOT want to lay in a tanning bed. As the young gal was getting me all checked in, which included, I kid you not, a fingerprint id, she asked if I had ever done Versa Spa before.

Me: Not VersaSpa. I did it when it was called "Mystic Tan."

Tanning Tina: Ohmygod they are SO not the same thing. Versa is like, so way better. WAY better. You'll be glad it's not mystic. Like, really glad. I mean, one time, I did Mystic, and I totally left orange streaks on my...friend's....pillow

I had to giggle at the thought of this chick shacking up with some guy and leaving an orange face print on his pillowcase. Ha!

When it was finally my turn, Tanning Tina lead me to the room, went through the motions, and shut the door. I got ready to get my spray on. I stepped into the booth and noticed another BIG difference. Mystic tan is an enclosed booth within a room, so you feel kind of covered. VersaSpa? Not so much. This lead me to only believe that there really were cameras somewhere to catch me doing the naked tanning boogie. Yikes!

I did my thing and by the time I got home, I thought I looked pretty good, but for my girl's weekend in Chicago, I think I looked a little like an Ompa Loompa. I tried to avoid white and green as much as possible. I have another "free" session waiting for me, so I'm debating getting bronzed before Disney, but again, I'm a little worried how orange I will be. I don't want to be mistaken for Tigger.

No comments: