Friday, September 11, 2009

Report card time


Not really, but we did survive our first week of preschool.

Strip seems to love her class.  I get the run down of everything they do, so I feel like I'm there.  She is, however, quite accident prone.  My kids are experts at dusting it off, but because it's a new school year, and maybe some parents are drama llama's, they write up little incident reports.  I think I will bring a pack of paper in so we're not wasting the school supplies.  Day one was ok, but day two, she got pinched by a wiggly toilet seat and had to sit on an ice pack during lunch.  Day three, she was selected to be line leader, but after leading the line over to a fence, she leaned against it and scraped against a random screw, resulting in a back boo boo.  If it's not broken or bleeding, I'm sure she'll survive.  But it's nice to know the teachers are pro-active!

Nugget is only there one day a week, and happens to go one day that Strip is there.  The first day was great.  Aside from trying to kill himself by climbing and jumping off everything on the playground (and also giving three random teachers a heart attack), he did really well.  His teacher said he transitioned really well from each activity and was the first one to sit down and finish his craft.  He does have a screamer in his room.  She was screaming when I dropped him off and she was still screaming at pick-up time.  Apparently, he got to sit next to her at lunch.  He looked at her and said, "Why you crying?!"  then leaned over and gave her a little hug.  Sweet boy!  He was excited to see me when I picked him up, but was way more excited to see Strip and show her, "I make!" which was his craft.

To celebrate, we hit a delicious little shop that I have never been in, but now will never be able to drag myself away from.  They have the most delectable (safe for me) chocolate which makes beautiful mochas.  They also have little kid sized slushees.  I had seen pictures of a friend's kid drinking a BRIGHT BLUE one and just made a mental note to grab some OxyClean on the way home, but I was happy to see they had lemonade ones, too (read light yellow so drips almost clear).  The best part?  The slushees are about $.88 each.  Woo to the hooo!

The hardest part about the week was day two when Strip got to go to school and Nugget didn't.  He seemed to do ok when we dropped her off, and after our long night we just went home and watched Cars.  The bad part came when we went to pick her up.  He suddenly realized that he did not go to school that day and started screaming, "I'M A DUCK!  I'M A DUCK!!!"about as loud and dramatic as "Soylent Green is people!"  It was really ugly and to make matters worse, Strip's class seemed to be the last to let out, so the entire preschool got to share the joy.

Over all, it was a good week.  Next week is Strip's first field trip and I've been asked to drive.  When I was telling her who would be in our car, she said, "Oh, we have GOT to get some more car seats."  I told her it wouldn't be a problem and that all the other moms would bring and install the kids' car seats that morning.  She sat for a few seconds and said, "Do you think you could get me a new pair of shoes and that pink booster seat by then?  This one is just brown and boring and I do NOT want my friends to see it."  

Sorry, kiddo.  Safety first.

No comments: