Monday, February 15, 2010

Valentine's Day Yay?!


I have always hated Valentine's Day. It started at a young age. I think it goes back to when I was in first grade and was in love with Drew G (he wore the cutest blue sweater with Odie on the front of it). He gave me a Valentine that had a rocket ship on it, and the rocket ship part was a mini pack of lifesavers (3, 2, 1 Be mine!), and even though I didn't care for Life Savers, he had scratched out the "From" and wrote "Love, Drew." Ekk! My life was complete! I popped that Valentine on my cork board and was high on life. Until about two weeks later when Charlsie came over to play, noticed the Valentine and said, "He did the same thing on mine! Ha!"

Ha?!? My future husband is already cheating on me and we haven't even started dating! After that, it seemed I was always sick on Valentines, and if I wasn't sick, my Valentine box was just sub bar.

I was so excited in the 4th grade, though because I had the BEST valentine box idea ever. My dad worked in paper, so I had a good stash of corrugated boxes, and I constructed a life-sized robot. One eye slit was for 4A to put their Valentines in and 4B had the other eye slit. They would fall into two separate boxes that looked like one big box that was the robot's stomach. It was going to be AWESOME. Of course, I got the flu x20, couldn't go to school. Mom took my robot to school, but everyone tossed the valentines in one slot and he fell apart before I got back to school.

From there on out, I decided that Valentine's day was a cruddy day. Fast forward to the V-day that Hubs and I were engaged. I was actually kind of excited to spend my first V-day with someone I loved, and spent 3.5 hours cruising to our soon-to-be house in NC thinking about the wonderful weekend we were going to spend together. Hubs, lovingly met me at the door, but not to tell me how much he loved me, but to tell me that my grandfather had unexpectedly passed away. So we got back in the car and I sobbed 3.5 hours back.

This year, I again wasn't expecting much, but just kept hoping no one would vomit or die. Hubs decided to meet his brother and dad a few hours away for three days, and I got in a funk. It's not enough that you travel so much for work, but you have to go away, AGAIN, during horrible snowy weather?! My good-bye to him on Wednesday morning was, "If you get killed in a car accident, I'm going to be really ticked."

While he was away, I noticed we were being charged by the salon he no longer goes to, so I told him he needed to call and take care of it. He called a few hours later to tell me that they actually overcharged us before and owed us $80.

Me: Woo hoo! I'm going to buy myself a Valentine's present then!
Hubs: What are you getting?
Me: A printer cable so I can finally print from my new computer. I'm sick of bugging you and I'm just going to do it myself.
Hubs: Oh no, no! If that's what you want, I'll get it for you for Valentine's Day!

Whoa no no no. That's like me going grocery shopping on Sunday and coming home to call it Valentine's Day. Don't want to exchange gifts? Fine, but don't buy me something I've NEEDED for months and call it a gift. Let me break this down for you. Eyebrow wax? Maintenance. Facial? Gift.

So I was even more huffy when he announced Saturday morning that he had to "run a few errands." I reminded him I needed him back by 11:30 so I could go to work. He left at 9:30 and was back at 11:00. And I knew he spent a good 30 minutes in the grocery store getting stuff for dinner that night (I had flashbacks of the year my mom TOTALLY forgot about stocking stuffers, kicked me out of the car at the front of the neighborhood and we ended up getting lots of things like glitter, glue, gum, staples and anything else the little drug store up the street had in stock on Dec. 24th).

So imagine my shock and surprise to wake up to a gift bag from a local spa with a menu and nice little gift card. He already selected the 50 minute facial and hour lava rock massage, but told me I can get whatever I want when I go in for my appointment next Saturday (he already booked it! Go Hubs!). And, to add more points in the Hubs' corner, the card was just a sweet, heartfelt message. I kind of expected to see "Maybe they can rub that chip off your shoulder!" slipped in there somewhere, but he contained himself.

He also did this for me:


A large black and white print of June Bug with her collar in a shadow box frame. Love it! We enjoyed a nice dinner at home, put the kids to bed and watched Couples Retreat, so all in all, it was a pretty great day! I'm still apprehensive about posting it because I think I'll jinx myself and have some horrible reaction to the facial products, but even if that happens, I'll have about three hours of quiet pampering, so I'll take the good with the bad.

No comments: